Posts in Category: workflows plugins

Formatting Slack Messages from Dynamics365

In creating my messaging application that sent data from Dynamics365 to SLACK, I wanted to get a little fancier and not only send static content but actually embed the link to the actual record with some content to provide context to the user.

I also wanted to do a bit of formatting (bolding and links) which is relatively easy but does not follow HTML notation.  The formatting reference for SLACK is located here.

For my scenario (displaying messages for Leads), I wanted to bold the entity (because this will be used by other ones at some point) and open directly to the record when clicked.

The url format to accomplish this is as follows;

A new *Lead* has been created – <{0}/main.aspx?etc=4&id={1}&pagetype=entityrecord|{2}>

Where the first parameter is my Dynamics tenant, the “etc” value is

Read More


Integrating Dynamics365 with SLACK

On a recent project, we wanted to notify users when new items were added into Dynamics (by third-party systems).  The initial goal was to use email as the delivery mechanism but seeing as how everyone was using SLACK for messaging I decided this would be a better (and much cooler delivery mechanism).

This is my first time working with the Slack API and I have to say it was surprising how easy it was to put together some demo functionality to prove it all out.

First thing you are going to need to do is to create an application.  When you create your application you can then enable features for your application.

For my application, I created two incoming WebHooks that enabled me to post to the my #general channel and send

Read More


Dynamics Workflow Registration Mismatch

Recently I was deploying an update to a workflow when I received the following message.

workflowfail

Upon further investigation, the cause of the problem were the dll references I was using for deploying this particular code to this particular environment.

I had updated my Dynamics SDK to use the latest set of dlls (8.2.0.566) while the environment I had already deployed to was on (7.1.0001.3108).  A few updated file references later and I was back in business – coding, registering, deploying and testing my code.

Read More